Sunday, September 25, 2011

I like big BOOKS and I cannot lie

I was inspired by this bag here.
Isn't it cute?


So I decided to do a spin off of her bag.
I think the quote for the bag is catchy and fun, so I did the same there.
I had also seen somewhere else where someone cut letters out of fabric, so that was my twist.

Let's get started, shall we?
Here is what I used.
1 bag from JoAnn's
Fabric for letters
Iron-on heat transfer
Fabric paint
Paint brush
Stencils

You need to iron the heat transfer stuff on to the fabric you want to use.
Then cut out the letters you want to be out of fabric.
Here I am tracing those letters onto my fabric.
Now you need to cut those out.
Peel the paper backing off and place where you want them on the bag.
Now iron on.
Without knowing it, I bought some pretty awesome stencils.  I really just grabbed the first ones I saw, but they ended up being a sticker kind.  So I just had to cut them out, stick them one, and get busy painting.
Don't forget to put cardboard underneath the layer you are painting on.
I painted two coats on each letter. 
Here it is after all the paint is on and the stencils peeled off.
I did one last thing for good measure.  In my experience with the iron-on heat transfer stuff, it doesn't stay put very well.  It says it doesn't need any sewing, but it does.  I just did a simple stitch through my letters.  I don't anticipate washing this bag a tons, so I'm not too worried about it.  I did want to make sure that my letters wouldn't fall off, though.
Now you just need to put your library books in the bag...
...and pose for the camera.
If you know me at all, you know of my frugal ways.  So that means I LOVE the library!  And endless supply of books to read to Miles.  T.J. has gone a couple times with him and he loves it in there.  They have some stuff for him to play on in the kid section.  I also get all my audio books from there.  Our library has a hold system, so you can get online and put anything you want on hold including movies.  If you haven't checked into yours, do it!  You'll be glad you did.

I linked this up to Tatertots and Jello.  They have a link party every Friday that I've always wanted to do, but I have been a little apprehensive.  So here goes nothing!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I like how you used fabric for some of the letters. Your bag looks great!