Friday, September 30, 2011

Magazine Holders

I wanted to share with you my latest project.
These magazine holders.
This is a super cheap and easy project!
I bought these magazine holders at Ikea for $1.99/5 pack.
Then I used some craft spray glue like this.  I used five different pieces of fabric, but you could do it with one piece as well.  I got a half a yard of each fabric and had plenty to cover the magazine files and have some left over.
Then I used these metal book plates and Gorilla super glue.
The book plates are from JoAnn's in the scrapbook section, and the glue is from Wal-Mart.
I forgot to take pictures of the first few steps, so I will just try to be as descriptive as possible.
Iron your fabric.  Lay it out on the table.  Hold a magazine file and trace around it, leaving about a half an inch to fold the fabric over the edges.  You will have to move the magazine file around while you are doing it since it is already glued together square and isn't flat.

Now you just cut it out.  Use that piece to trace out your other pieces of fabric.  Cut them all out.  Now it's time to glue.  I like to do it outside because it's kind of smelly and can get other stuff sticky that you are spraying around.  I laid my fabric pretty side down, gave the back side a good coating of the spray glue, then just stuck it on, making sure to get any bubbles out.  I stuck down the side that faces out first and made sure it looked just right.  The side that faces the back is where my seam is.  If you have to just trim anywhere that the fabric is a little too long.

This is where my pictures pick up.
So here are my files all covered in fabric.
This is what the inside looks like.

Now it's time to put on the book plates.
I leaned them on our coffee table, put glue on the book plate, and stuck it in place.  I didn't measure or anything, just eyed it.

See?

I put a few heavy things on them just to make sure they stuck good.
Now it's time to get together your stuff to go inside.
So far I have some books I use for work and new magazines.
Put your goodies in the files.
Put your files in bookcase.
Admire bookcase and pat self on the back.
This bookcase is a work in progress.  Remember the M picture I made a while ago?  It got a new home.  We don't really have anything in the bottom shelf.  I put our 52 Weeks of Miles book down there for now.  I will post about that tomorrow.  That first shelf could use a little help too.  But that third shelf down is looking pretty great, huh?  :)

I am linking up again at Tatertots & Jello and Skip to My Lou.  Go check out all the other links.  There are tons of great ideas to look at!
Pin It!

3 comments:

minna k.s. said...

They look divine!!! Great idea! I think I'll try these in my daughter's room.
I'm a new follower. :D
http://feelinginspiredtoday.blogspot.com/

Stacey said...

Nice job, Kaylan!! I also have this on my list of 523,454 projects to get done....somehow you actually get projects done!!!

Vicky said...

I am pinning this! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower from Tatertots and Jello. Vicky @ www.messforless.net