Wednesday, January 4, 2012

McCord Family Rules

It's finally done!!  The white canvas that hung in the kitchen for a year is now our family rules sign.  It turned out okay.  I now know that a canvas, vinyl, and paint aren't the best partners.  Because the canvas gives, the paint leaked a lot under the vinyl.  I had planned on sanding this down some anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.  But it was good to know for future projects.
Here is the sign with all the vinyl on it.
I painted over the whole thing in the teal color that we have in our house.
This is what it looked like after.
Just peeling the letters and no touching up or anything.

Here you can see the major bleeding on the ALWAYS.
One reason I couldn't just paint back over the teal bleeds in yellow is because I didn't do an even coat of yellow as the base coat.  I got all fancy and blended some colors, so I was afraid of making it worse by trying to touch it up.
So I sanded it down and this is the end result.
These pictures aren't the best (dark & camera phone), but you get the idea.
Sanding it definitely helped everything blend nicely.  The imperfections give it character now instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.



Pin It!

No comments: